Iron was produced at the Österby mill before Columbus sailed for America. This means that we are custodians of a long and proud tradition from as far back as the 15th century.
The Österby mill and the neighbouring works at Lövsta and Gimo came into the ownership of Louis De Geer in the 17th century, and developed under his leadership to the second largest iron mill in Sweden. This region produced a major part of the global iron production at the end of the 18th century.
Restructuring in the iron and steel industry led to Fagersta AB taking over the mill in 1927 from the last private mill owner, P.A. Tamm.
Österby Gjuteri was founded in 1983 and became part of Verdane Capital in 2012.
Five hundred years have passed since iron was first used in Österby mill and the tradition lives on. The world’s only completely preserved Wallonian forge from that era can be found in our community. Even today, Österby Gjuteri uses the quality stamp that was created more than 250 years ago, the internationally recognised initials OO. The first O in our brand stands for Österby mill and the other is for the old shipping port Öregrund. Now, just as it was back then, these rings are symbols for the highest quality..